George Magnus is an independent economist and commentator, an Associate at the China Centre, Oxford University, and an adviser to some asset management companies.
He is a regular contributor to the Financial Times, Prospect Magazine and other written media, and appears regularly on BBC TV and radio, Bloomberg TV and other outlets.
- Josephine Moulds, The Daily Telegraph
George Magnus's Viewpoints Blog
- Problems are piling up for China’s economy, and not just from Covid
China faces a difficult 2022 as structural headwinds, the bursting of the property cycle, and omicron combine to challenge Beijing Read more →
- From economic miracle to mirage – will China’s GDP ever overtake the US?
Issues of governance, rising debt, Covid and property market turmoil will delay Beijing’s quest to become the global economy’s No 1 Read more →
- The downfall of Evergrande foreshadows a difficult decade for China – and for Xi Jinping
If the Chinese Communist Party doesn’t handle the property giant’s default carefully, the economic and political consequences could be seismic. Read more →
- Squaring the ageing circle
Life expectancy is increasing as the working-age population dwindles, how do we maintain our quality of life? Read more →
- Common prosperity: more slogan than solution
What does China mean by 'common prosperity', and is it an answer to anything ? Read more →
2 hours ago
5 hours ago
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
9 hours ago